Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2)
- It is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud.
- It is IAAS offering of awscloud
- We create Virtual Machines with EC2
- VM are known as Instances
Instance Purchasing Options
- On Demand : With On-Demand Instances, you pay for compute capacity by the second with no long-term commitments. You have full control over its lifecycle—you decide when to launch, stop, hibernate, start, reboot, or terminate it.
Price per second for a running On-Demand Instance is fixed.
- Reserved Instance : Reserved Instances provide you with significant savings on your Amazon EC2 costs compared to On-Demand Instance pricing.
Key variables that determine Reserved Instance pricing
- Instance Attributes
- Term Commitment
- Payment Options
- Offering Classes
- Spot Instance: A Spot Instance is an unused EC2 instance that is available for less than the On-Demand price. Because Spot Instances enable you to request unused EC2 instances at steep discounts, you can lower your Amazon EC2 costs significantly.
- Dedicated host : An Amazon EC2 Dedicated Host is a physical server with EC2 instance capacity fully dedicated to your use. Dedicated Hosts allow you to use your existing per-socket, per-core, or per-VM software licenses, including Windows Server, Microsoft SQL Server, SUSE, and Linux Enterprise Server.
- Capacity reservation : Capacity Reservations enable you to reserve capacity for your Amazon EC2 instances in a specific Availability Zone for any duration. This gives you the ability to create and manage Capacity Reservations independently from the billing discounts offered by Savings Plans or regional Reserved Instances. By creating Capacity Reservations, you ensure that you always have access to EC2 capacity when you need it, for as long as you need it.
Types of EC2 instances
- General Purpose
- Memory Optimized
- Accelerated Networking
- Storage Optimized